Glaucoma is an eye disease that causes damage to the optic nerve and reduced visual acuity, with increased eye pressure as the main risk factor. The diagnosis is made by an ophthalmologist through specific eye exams.
Currently, treatments to control glaucoma consist of mainly in surgical intervention and topical drug therapyand surgical intervention is required when a patient’s visual independence is at risk.
There are risks associated with the surgical procedure and the postoperative recoverytherefore, topical drug therapy with reliable efficacy and safety is often the preferred approach in the management of glaucoma.
Glaucoma is one of the leading causes of blindness worldwide. This pathology has no cure and its treatment in the early stages is essential to prevent vision loss. It is important to emphasize that all treatment must be indicated by the ophthalmologist. Only through consultation with the specialist and the carrying out of requested exams, the best treatment for each case will be indicated.
Three main types of treatments for glaucoma:
Use of medications (eye drops):
Topical drug therapy with reliable efficacy and safety is often the preferred approach in the management of glaucoma. Eye drops are the most commonly used form of glaucoma treatment.. It is essential to strictly follow medical advice for the use of eye drops. Because they do not perceive the evolution of the disease, many patients tend to neglect the administration of these drugs, which negatively reflects on the outcome of the treatment..
How to use eye drops for glaucoma?
- The vial should always be kept closed, according to the Manufacturer’s Laboratory instructions, in a cool place, avoiding exposing the medicine to a source of heat or sunlight (inside the car, pants or shirt pockets, etc.). Heat and light cause changes in the composition of the medicine, making it ineffective.
- If you use more than one eye drop to treat your glaucoma, identify them with colored labels or ribbons and make a table, leaving it in a visible place. This will make administration easier.
- Adapt the schedules to your daily activities – eg breakfast, dinner, etc.
- Never stop using or change your eye drops without the consent of your ophthalmologist.
The basic laser treatment, when there is pupillary block, is based on the creation of an orifice that allows the communication of the aqueous humor between the anterior and posterior chambers of the eye. After the procedure, it is necessary to assess the need for topical medication for continuous use..
The basic laser treatment, when there is pupillary block, is based on the creation of an orifice that allows the communication of the aqueous humor between the anterior and posterior chambers of the eye. After the procedure, it is necessary to assess the need for topical medication for continuous use.6.
Patients with mild to moderate primary open-angle glaucoma, who failed to use at least one eye drop, may be submitted, at medical and eligibility criteria, to a surgical procedure for the implantation of ophthalmic drainage. The treatment consists of a microinvasive surgical procedure with implantation of a microstent, with the objective of reducing intraocular pressure and controlling the progression of the disease..
Given this, we can understand why it is so important to take preventive measures to protect your vision, even if it is apparently normal. Below are some tips on how we can prevent ourselves:
- Take care of your eye health on a regular basis:
- Several eye diseases are considered silent. This means that only when they are in more advanced stages, that symptoms begin to appear. However, even if there are no apparent symptoms, the ophthalmologist, through clinical examination of the eyes, is able to diagnose these diseases early and intervene so that they do not get worse, without serious complications or even impairment of vision. .
- Exercise regularly:
- Practicing physical activity can help prevent some eye diseases, such as diabetic retinopathy, glaucoma.
- Always wear eye protection:
- When practicing outdoor physical activities, wear sunglasses with ultraviolet protection, even on cloudy days. Ultraviolet rays can bring serious risks to eye health.
The post Care for Life.