Commitments to deliver bold, measurable and impactful actions towards the GHSA 2024 target
GHSA 2024 Target
By 2024, more than 100 countries that have completed an evaluation of health security capacity will have undergone planning and resource mobilization to address gaps, and will be in the process of implementing activities to achieve impact. These countries will strengthen their capacities and demonstrate improvements in at least five technical areas to a level of ‘Demonstrated Capacity’ or comparable level, as measured by relevant health security assessments, such as those conducted within the WHO IHR Monitoring and Evaluation Framework. GHSA will continue to encourage partnerships and commitments and report on the progress and successes of commitments throughout its lifetime.
Visualizing and Tracking Progress from GHSA members
An essential part of GHSA 2024 is collecting, visualizing, and tracking progress of commitments made, and to share lessons learned or best practices gathered. The GHSA commitments map viewer below provides a way of searching previously-made commitments.
Commitments by thematic area:
In 2020, the GHSA Steering Group identified various thematic areas for commitments to GHSA 2024 in order to help set the standard for the types of commitments and activities that all countries and partners could make. GHSA Commitments should be new, specific, measurable, timebound, and importantly should strongly link advancing progress towards the Target. Currently collected commitments have been captured under the following thematic areas:
- Identifying and addressing gaps: A key component of meeting the GHSA 2024 target includes an evaluation of existing gaps and planning to fill those gaps. Examples of commitments in this theme can include, but are not limited to a) conducting a Joint External Evaluation (JEE) or repeat JEE, b) identifying and prioritizing the five technical areas for domestic improvement, c) developing and publishing a costed National Action Plan for Health Security (NAPHS), Inter-action review, or other stepwise plan, d) adopting/changing national legislation or policy to improve capacity
- Building Political Will and Coordination: Strengthening health security and meeting the GHSA 2024 target will require increased political will and strong coordination across sectors in and out of government. Examples of commitments in this theme can include a) establishing a high-level multisectoral health security committee, nominating a ministry-level office or cabinet-level coordinator for global health security, c) transparently adopting/changing legislation or policy that allows for stronger ministry and multisectoral communication/coordination
- Investing in Health Security: Filling health security gaps and meeting the GHSA 2024 target will require concrete and ambitious investments from all countries and organizations, whether improving domestic capacity or assisting others. GHSA member countries should consider making specific GHSA financial commitments to accelerate progress towards the target, including mobilizing domestic resources and/or foreign development assistance to strengthen national, regional, and global health security.
- Documenting Progress and Best Practices: Meeting the GHSA 2024 will require sustained collaboration and communication between member countries and organizations. Examples of commitments in this theme can include a) sharing best practices, publishing reports or reviews of domestic capacity building progress towards a NAPHS or other planning tool, c) publishing reports of foreign/development assistance helping other GHSA members building capacity, d) offering briefings/webinars to train and support action package working groups, and more.
- Advancing Steering Group Priorities: The GHSA Steering Group is tasked with overseeing the governance, member engagement, and progress of all GHSA members. To strengthen process and functioning of GHSA, members may also consider commitments such as a) providing subject matter experts to Action Package working groups, b) leading or supporting an existing Task Force, c) nominating their host government for a seat on the Steering Group, d) contributing dedicated staff to the essential secretariat function, and more.
Process for submitting or updating commitments:
All GHSA member are highly encouraged to consult their country or organization to identify new, specific commitments that can be added to the GHSA Map Viewer each year, or on the occasion of a high-level GHSA Ministerial meeting. All GHSA members are encouraged to make multiple types of commitments, to be submitted as one singular submission. Commitments should be reviewed and agreed to by the GHSA lead and senior leadership (eg. Minister or designee).
Narrative commitments should be submitted to the GHSA Secretariat, firstname.lastname@example.org. Submitted commitments will be reviewed by the secretariat and Steering Group prior to finalization and publishing on the GHSA Map Viewer website.