In Altai, a man died when they tried to provide first aid.
It happened during a drunken fight. One punched the other in the chin. The man lost consciousness and collapsed to the floor.
Then a friend began to carry out cardiopulmonary resuscitation. However, he only aggravated the situation – he broke several of the man’s ribs and sternum. There was a traumatic shock, and the victim died at the scene.
The resident was found guilty of causing death by negligence and convicted.
Aif.ru decided to find out what mistakes can be made when providing first aid.
Answered questions Andrey Ivlev, resuscitator.
Here are the most obvious mistakes, based on my experience:
– they try to lift a person who has fainted to his feet;
– hesitate to call passers-by for help;
– do not know and do not know how to assess the consciousness and breathing of the victim;
– do not know and do not know how to perform artificial heart massage;
– when they see a person lying unconscious, they think that he is sleeping drunk. But in fact, it can be a stroke or a heart attack, and a person needs help.
What do we have to do?
As a rule, all errors in first aid are due to the illiteracy and panic of random rescuers, the doctor explains.
Whatever misfortune occurs, relief should be started:
1. By calling an ambulance or rescuers (by calling “112”).
2. It is necessary to assess consciousness: it is enough to ask the victim a simple question: how do you feel, do you need help?
3. Assess breathing: it is important to observe the casualty for 10 seconds. Are there chest movements in the form of inhalation and exhalation.
4. If there is no consciousness and breathing, start chest compressions in parallel using the speakerphone or asking passers-by to call an ambulance. The dispatcher needs to be informed that the person is unconscious and breathing.
5. If the person is unconscious but breathing: turn him on his side and wait for the ambulance.
6. After that, you can begin to temporarily stop the bleeding by applying a tourniquet or improvised means (belt, rope) on the injured limb above the site of bleeding / with arterial bleeding.
Such elementary actions can save another person’s life, the doctor concludes.